It’s that time again. The long nights and frigid mornings of winter are behind you, and you’ve noticed some of your bulbs starting to poke up in your flowerbeds. The season of shooting hoops in the driveway and hosting backyard barbeques has arrived. But before you start planning picnics and camping trips, you need to turn your attention to one of your old friends: your garage door.
Your garage door takes quite a beating during the winter. The colder temperatures make it contract, and the wilder weather scratches at its finish. After three months of that, your garage door needs a little love.
It’s Time for Some Spring Maintenance!
Here’s what you should do for your garage after the weather gets warm:
1. Lubricate all of the moving parts. They may have rusted because of extra moisture, but even if they haven’t, they’ll benefit from a little WD-40. Make sure that you lubricate the chain or drive screw in your door opener, and don’t forget to lubricate the hinges, rollers, and latches on the actual door.
2. Wipe everything clean, then lightly lubricate those parts. The winds and the storms have probably left quite a mark on your garage door. Wipe everything down carefully, then lubricate the parts you just cleaned. You don’t want your cleaner to rust your garage door.
3. Refinish the exterior. If you have chipped paint on your vinyl or metal door or you have a scratched finish on your wood door, get the necessary tools to refinish it.
4. Adjust and repair the weather-stripping. Again, storms and other natural events may wreak havoc on your garage door. If the weather-stripping came off over the winter, fix or replace it.
5. Repair the opener, if necessary. You’ll be using your opener far more often now that the weather has warmed up. Repair it if there are any problems with it. You don’t want it to get stuck and interrupt your recreational activities.
If you follow all of these tips, not only will your garage door look great, but it will last you for many years to come as well. However, garage door maintenance may not be for you. If that’s the case, then you still have a few options.
Call Cookson Door Sales!
If you’d rather have someone else repair your garage door, not only are you not alone, but you’re in luck! Cookson Door Sales repairs garage doors throughout Arizona. Call us at (480) 377-8777 to learn more today!