Garage Door FAQs
Contact Us With Questions Or Request Pricing:
Why should I use a professional installer?
At Cookson Door Sales, we firmly believe that the installation of a garage door is not a do-it-yourself job. A garage door is the largest moving object in your home and because of the large number of small parts, its installation is highly technical. Connecting the springs can be particularly dangerous and proper installation is critical to the performance of your door. One of the other services a professional installer can provide is the disposal of your old door, if you are replacing a door. Professional installers can typically install a door in a few hours and are careful to make sure safety requirements are met. Installations by most homeowners typically span several days and cause much frustration. In addition, incorrect installation can void certain warranties, so we recommend a professional handle the job for you.
Is 25 gauge steel thicker than 24 gauge steel?
No. When comparing strengths of steel, remember, the lower the gauge number, the thicker (and stronger) the steel is.
Why should I choose an insulated door if my garage is uninsulated?
A garage door opening is a very large hole in your garage. Insulated doors will help to reduce the amount of outside temperatures that enters your garage, thus keeping it more comfortable for you. This is important for a number of reasons:
- If your garage is attached to your home, any air in the garage can travel through the doorway to your living area.
- If you use your garage as a workshop, your comfort will be a top priority.
- If your garage is below another room in your home, air can travel through the ceiling of the garage into the floor of the room above. An insulated door will keep temperatures in the garage fairly stable to reduce the temperature fluctuation in the room.
- An insulated door is generally quieter and has a more attractive interior than an uninsulated door.
What are the benefits of a steel door over a wood door?
- Steel doors are low maintenance. Typically a wood door needs to be painted as frequently as the wood trim on your home due to weathering.
- Clopay® steel doors have longer warranties than wood doors.
- Steel doors can be insulated, making them far more energy efficient than wood.
- Clopay® steel doors are pre-painted and most are available in your choice of three to five colors. Wood doors are unfinished or primed, both of which need to be finish painted upon installation.
What is required for installing an electric operator?
In the event that an electric operator is installed, the top section must be reinforced with a strut or 14-gauge angle iron spanning the length of the top section.
How do I know what size door will fit?
Read our Step-By-Step Guide to measuring before purchasing a garage door.